How do you guys pass emissions tests with your JX motor?

aktueller Austausch vor dem Posten ruhig mal die SUCHE benutzen!

Moderatoren: gvz, jany, tce, Staff

Antworten
epowell
Poster
Modell: T3
Aufbauart/Ausstattung: '81 hightop
Leistung: 70 PS
Motorkennbuchstabe: JX
Anzahl der Busse: 1

How do you guys pass emissions tests with your JX motor?

Beitrag von epowell »

Here in Czech I just failed the State technical exam because of emissions. They said it was way way off the charts.

I am wondering if any of you guys have managed to pass State emissions tests with a JX? ...is it even possible?
I have here a JX block for rebuilding, and I just bought a new KS cylinder head, and I plan to rebuild and put in the new engine..... ....but with even THIS pass the emissions test?

Thanks
Ed
Relaxo
Harter Kern
Aufbauart/Ausstattung: Westfalia
Leistung: 75PS
Motorkennbuchstabe: AAZ

Re: How do you guys pass emissions tests with your JX motor?

Beitrag von Relaxo »

What are they testing ?

In Germany they only look for soot at max rpm without load. There are no test for CO or NOX for this old diesle engines.
epowell
Poster

Beitrag von epowell »

Relaxo hat geschrieben:What are they testing ?

In Germany they only look for soot at max rpm without load. There are no test for CO or NOX for this old diesle engines.
So you mean if the JX is in good condition then it should pass easily?

I was not too smart, because I know where the MAX FUEL SCREW is but I decided to be an HONEST MAN and not play with it (turn it down)... but now I see that if I did turn it down I probably would have passed the test. :(
Jens Brownstar
Stammposter
Aufbauart/Ausstattung: Ex Caravelle GL
Leistung: 156

Beitrag von Jens Brownstar »

Hi Ed,
that's the wrong understanding!
If you don't pass the emission test, you need to REPAIR it with the fuel regulator. And if it doesn't not run well anymore afterwards, just repair it again...

Come on, this engine is older than the test procedure. It's another thing if the motor is really damaged and needs a real repair but if compression and injection system are OK, it should pass the test.

Regards, Jens
epowell
Poster

Beitrag von epowell »

Jens Brownstar hat geschrieben:Hi Ed,
that's the wrong understanding!
If you don't pass the emission test, you need to REPAIR it with the fuel regulator. And if it doesn't not run well anymore afterwards, just repair it again...

Come on, this engine is older than the test procedure. It's another thing if the motor is really damaged and needs a real repair but if compression and injection system are OK, it should pass the test.

Regards, Jens
Thanks Jens...

I am not sure exactly what you mean.
The engine is very old and for sure it needs a rebuild - however it still runs very well and has a lot of power. Personally I would never complain about it's power - but I only drive slowly on "B" roads. I am not a "Highway Star" LOL :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "REPAIR" it. I'm not sure what the "fuel regulator" is (you mean the max fuel screw on the pump?). The pump and all injectors were fully serviced by an excellent professional very recently... so what else can be wrong? Pump and injectors I think are as good as they can be. Head and Block are old.

Thanks
Ed
Jens Brownstar
Stammposter
Aufbauart/Ausstattung: Ex Caravelle GL
Leistung: 156

Beitrag von Jens Brownstar »

Hi Ed,
the "repair" was meant ironic. If the motor is generally OK, reduce the fuel amount with that screw you already found until you feel a power loss but still runs and don't feel bad for cheating a bit.
:bier
Regards, Jens
Titus A Duxass
Mit-Leser
Modell: keinen
Aufbauart/Ausstattung: Camper
Leistung: 115 PS
Motorkennbuchstabe: ADY
Anzahl der Busse: 0

Beitrag von Titus A Duxass »

Hi Ed,
My old JX had 238,000km on it, it used 1 lt of oil per 1000km and still got through the tests.
Put a clean air filter in, a clean fuel filter and give it a good long run just before the test and you'll be fine.
Ein Englander in Leipzig
epowell
Poster

Beitrag von epowell »

Jens Brownstar hat geschrieben:Hi Ed,
the "repair" was meant ironic. If the motor is generally OK, reduce the fuel amount with that screw you already found until you feel a power loss but still runs and don't feel bad for cheating a bit.
:bier
Regards, Jens
AHA! OK, I wasn't sure if that is what you meant... I can see now that I will need to "play" with that screw, test - experiment and get to know where is it's best placement.

Titus A Duxass hat geschrieben:Hi Ed,
My old JX had 238,000km on it, it used 1 lt of oil per 1000km and still got through the tests.
Put a clean air filter in, a clean fuel filter and give it a good long run just before the test and you'll be fine.
That sounds just like my JX (lol) >>> yeah I was thinking after that a good good long run would be a good idea, but since my "papers" expired 2 months ago, doing a long run involves some risk. But this really gives me hope that a JX can make it.... actually it seems that all in all it might even be a bit easier with a pre-90's car - as long as you know the tricks (which I am slowly learning a bit too late this time).

- - -

As it turns out, I've found an "Eastern-European-Special" way to solve this problem this time.... But next time (2 years from now) I will manage it straight - and by that time I will have a fresh re-built JX in there so I guess it will be fine > especially with these little tricks added.

Thanks Guys!
Antworten

Zurück zu „T3-Aktuell (BJ 1979 - 1992)“