Greetings From the US!

this subforum is dedicated to our dear english-speaking vw-bus-drivers... feel free to ask, mention, and contribute on all topics regarding vw vans!

Moderatoren: jany, Staff

Antworten
jhax
Mit-Leser
Modell: T3
Aufbauart/Ausstattung: Teca
Leistung: 50 PS
Motorkennbuchstabe: VW
Anzahl der Busse: 1

Greetings From the US!

Beitrag von jhax »

Good Day Everyone,

I am a recent T3 owner! My wife and I spent a month in Europe for our honeymoon where we purchased and drove a T3, I am in the process of importing it back to the US. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... light=jhax

I am so glad to have found another forum with very knowledgeable people. One of my first priorities is to add air conditioning to our T3 which has a JX motor. I have searched this forum but have not been able to find any information on fitting air conditioning to a JX motor specifically. Would I be able to ask to have someone point me in the correct direction?

Cheers,
Justin
PHo
Westdeutscher
Modell: keinen
Aufbauart/Ausstattung: keine
Anzahl der Busse: 0

Re: Greetings From the US!

Beitrag von PHo »

Welcome to the forum.

In Germany we call it Klimaanlage, and yes it is possible to build it on a T3 with JX.

Greetings,
Peter
Gruß,
Peter

Heute schon mal den Chef gefragt, was er denn so beruflich macht?
CWR-16
Poster
Aufbauart/Ausstattung: SyCaravGL+Mü-Alkoven
Leistung: 112PS
Motorkennbuchstabe: DJ
Anzahl der Busse: 2

Beitrag von CWR-16 »

hallole justin;
I have been an old T3 owner since 23 years! , and in the meantime have 10T3. (including children + grandchildren's car )
Of these, 4 are operational and 3 are approved.
Retrofitting an air conditioning system in the T3 is very complex, as there are no longer complete retrofit kits to buy.
Everything has to be found used and important parts have to be re-manufactured. For 10 years, I have had a T3 air conditioner on my private storage shelf, but so far I haven't been able to install it.
During the high season in southern Germany and also in northern Italy I missed them, but during the trip we always had the triangular windows open for ventilation. We bought '2018 a mobile 12 volt water evaporator air conditioning device from Eberspächer for the campsite or at night (Ebercool portable which is identical to the Viesa portable evaporative cooling system).
Unfortunately, both are no longer available ...!

Greetings Claus
jhax
Mit-Leser

Beitrag von jhax »

Claus,

That is interesting information. I have been a VW TDI enthusiast since 2010. Here is a link to my big project that I have been working on for a long time.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?th ... ad.348279/

I understand that the air conditioning system will have to be pieced together and I have already started finding the different pieces and the links are below.

A/C and heater interior kit behind the dashboard
https://www.vanagain.com/shop/barebones ... ll-vanagon
https://pigpensyncro.com/2020/08/10/a-c-project/

I will be switching the accessory belt to a ribbed belt as opposed to a toothed belt
https://www.t3-pedia.de/index.php?title ... iemen_(JX)
https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?th ... ty.459751/

I will have to gather the hoses dryer, valves, AC compressor, AHU/1Z accessory bracket and alternator, from different places.

In order to be able to get AC to work properly, I will need more power from the motor. So I am also looking at the Vinreeb WLLK intercooler. Does he still make those? How much does he charge? I would appreciate any more tips and thoughts.

Cheers,
Justin
jhax
Mit-Leser

Beitrag von jhax »

Would anybody know if the 1.6 TDs have the same issue with the crank sprocket jumping time after adding Air Conditioning? I know that the AAZs have this problem due to the extra rotating mass from the power steering and air conditioning units.
jhax
Mit-Leser

Beitrag von jhax »

Otto is now living in America! My wife and I flew down to Texas and drive him 16+ hours all the way back up to our home in Colorado. Let me tell you, driving in Europe is 1000x better than driving through Texas.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... c&start=32
Atlantik90
Antik-Inventar
Aufbauart/Ausstattung: 2WD Atlantic; 4WD MV
Leistung: 70 PS
Motorkennbuchstabe: JX
Anzahl der Busse: 2

Beitrag von Atlantik90 »

jhax hat geschrieben: 04.11.2021, 13:59 Would anybody know if the 1.6 TDs have the same issue with the crank sprocket jumping time after adding Air Conditioning? I know that the AAZs have this problem due to the extra rotating mass from the power steering and air conditioning units.
The design there is rather the same than that of the AAZ. So you will realize the same problems.

I wish much fun with your T3.

Most of the following You may know yet.
Most helpful when having trouble will be the manual:
Volkswagen Vanagon Official Factory Repair Manual 1980 ... 1991 Including Diesel, Syncro and Camper; ISBN 0-8376-0336-6 by Bentley Publishers
Only for the JX motor an the 5 speed gearbox, if in place, the respective Volkswagen repair manuals available via ERWIN may be helpful. Here You will find a way to get them even in English: https://www.t3-pedia.de/index.php?title ... f%C3%A4den

To Your Teca equipment it is hard to find written support.

Good luck
Unfall- und störungsfreie Fahrt mit dem VW-Bus
wünscht Joachim
Von mir als Beispiel für Verfügbarkeit gesetzte Lieferanten-links sind keine Empfehlung.
Irren ist menschlich; keine PN, fragt im Forum
Wer die VW-Reparaturleitfäden hat, hat weniger Fragen.
jhax
Mit-Leser

Beitrag von jhax »

Thank you for the information. I am well aware of the Bentley manuals. From what I have read, the issue with the crank actually has to do with a nom-clutched alternator pulley as well as the load placed on the motors from the air conditioning and power steering units.
jhax
Mit-Leser

Beitrag von jhax »

Good Evening,

I am thinking about my options for adding a air charge cooler . I would like to use one from a renault GT.

Bild

I would place it behind the driver's side tail light and move the air inlet filter to the passengers side tail light. I think the easiest way to do this would be to use the elbow from a quantum TD intake manifold and route my charge piping from the top of the intake manifold instead of the rear of the intake manifold as it currently is.

Left manifold

https://imgur.com/GoanktI

Has anybody executed this yet?

Thank you,
Justin
jhax
Mit-Leser

Beitrag von jhax »

Greetings,

Has anyone on this forum added the Air Conditioning components (bracket, compressor, etc) from a MK2 Jetta/Golf 1.6TD. To the T3 with a JX motor?

Thank you,
Justin
caravelle c
Harter Kern
Aufbauart/Ausstattung: Caravelle C
Leistung: 112 PS
Motorkennbuchstabe: DJ

Beitrag von caravelle c »

I'm sure it will not fit, transverse engine versus slant longitudinal engine. You need a special bracket for the JX, some had a/c from factory, so they do exist. Probably you should ask here and at TheSamba if someone can provide you measurements.
jhax
Mit-Leser

Beitrag von jhax »

Thank you caravelle c
jhax
Mit-Leser

Beitrag von jhax »

Greetings all. It has been a little while, but work has begun on the bus. My friend and I spent last weekend updating all of the shift linkage bushings and installing new axle seals. I have run into the problem of my transmission oil fill plug is rusted so I have been battling trying to get that out. I also found some isofensters from a shop that had them from a wrecked T3. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... 6&start=20
jhax
Mit-Leser

Beitrag von jhax »

Good Evening,

I have added a LLK and an oil cooler to my JX, I think the oil cooler is too small and I will need to upgrade

Bild

Bild

I have also updated my pump a la Oettinger.

Next steps are to replace the turbo and refresh the motor.
I would like to what modifications I can do to increase the power so that I can use air conditioning in the future. What injections nozzles do you use that will produce more fuel reliably? I have heard that GTD nozzles produce 170bar and I have read about Citroen XUD nozzles. I know that the K14 turbo is used from the factory, but it may be easier for me to find a Garrett T3 turbo from a Passat/Golf/Jetta, however I think I just need to re-clock the housings in order for it to work. There is also a company in Canada called Giles, who is known for rebuilding IDI injection pumps that yield + 30 horsepower. With all of these modifications to the JX, will it remain reliable? What do bulliforum users do to produce more reliable power from their JX motors?

Danke,
Justin
Antworten

Zurück zu „English-Corner“